2021 January transfer window: transfers and rumors (18/01/2021)2 min read
Although it has been calmer than on other occasions due to the economic problems that world football is going through, the January transfer window is still open and some clubs are taking the opportunity to try making transfer moves that can help them improve in terms of performances and finances.
To this day, these have been the main transfers and rumors of possible signings in European football:
- There are reports in Spain that David Alaba has reached an agreement with Real Madrid CF after not signing a new contract with FC Bayern Munich and deciding to leave for free at the end of this season, when his contract with the Bavarian club ends. Los Blancos would have offered him a contract of €11 million per year for the next 4 years.
- To this rumor from Alaba we must add the following and that is that Marcelo from Real Madrid can leave the club where he has been for 14 years since he has lost his starting role due to the high level of Ferland Mendy and the low level of the Brazilian and clubs interested in their signing are beginning to be heard. The last to show interest has been AS Monaco, which joins Juventus FC, where his friend Cristiano Ronaldo plays.
- A transfer that, if confirmed, is one of the most sought-after free agents on the market (which we mentioned a couple of weeks ago in one of our articles), is that of Mario Mandzukic for AC Milan. The Croatian had been free since he ended his contract with Qatar’s Al-Duhail SC and there had been many rumors about his possible fate.
- As if spending on the summer transfer window was not enough, Chelsea are interested in tackling the signing of Erling Haaland from Borussia Dortmund but not for this window but for the start of next season. It is an operation that will be complicated for the London club or for anyone who tries it for the current value of the Norwegian, although there is talk that the German club must sell some of its figures to alleviate the economic problems arising from the pandemic.
- Finally, after a period of six months without a team, Jack Wilshere has signed a contract until the end of the season with AFC Bournemouth, a club with which he was training and which has decided to bet on him after the approval of manager Jason Tindall. Wilshere was already on loan to AFC Bournemouth during the 2016-17 season from Arsenal FC.
- Chelsea FC center back Fikayo Tomori could come on loan to AC Milan with an option to buy, according to Paolo Maldini, the Italian club’s current technical director. It is striking because Tomori had a considerable role in Frank Lampard’s team last season, which earned him a call up by the England national team, but that this season he has been practically pushed aside by Chelsea.