2021 January transfer window: transfers and rumors (25/01/2021)2 min read
We are still keeping track of this very quiet 2021 January transfer window although that does not mean that the rumors have diminished and some transfers are still being completed. Now we are going to make a summary of the most important of the day today.
- After his problems with manager Gian Piero Gasperini, Alejandro “Papu” Gómez is looking for a departure from Atalanta BC, which seems imminent. Logically, the interest of several clubs has been appearing throughout this transfer window among which was FC Inter Milan or Hertha BSC and more recently Sevilla FC. The latter seems to have inked a deal with Atalanta in the recent hours despite both teams have not confirmed yet. However, today we found out there was a new suitor, Cincinnati FC of the MLS, who would be offering him a contract of €10 million per year and 3 years of duration. It remains to be seen if the deal with Sevilla is officially confirmed or not over the next few hours.
- In the absence of official confirmation, Thomas Tuchel will be the new manager of Chelsea FC following the dismissal of Frank Lampard. It didn’t take long for the German to find a team after his somewhat sudden departure from PSG.
- Olympique Marseille completed the loan deal of Polish striker Arkadiusz Milik and this resulted in Greek striker Kostas Mitroglu terminating his contract with the French club where he did not have the trust of manager Andre Vilas-Boas and signing with Aris Thessaloniki FC.
- Due to the irregular situation of Real Madrid CF as a result of the elimination in the Spanish Super Cup and, in particular, of the Copa del Rey by CD Alcoyano, there is talk of the possible departure of Zinedine Zidane from the white club on next summer and a first name has already emerged to be his replacement, Julian Nagelsmann. The German manager has been followed for some time by Real Madrid CF and could approach him if Zidane does not continue.
- Sokratis Papastathopoulos, who was rumored to be a possible emergency solution for Liverpool FC’s defensive problems, has finally signed with his country’s Olympiacos FC, after terminating his contract with Arsenal FC.
- In the Netherlands there is much talk about the possible return of Quincy Promes from AFC Ajax to Spartak Moscow where he already played between 2014 and 2018. Promes has had legal problems in his country and this may be motivating his departure from the Amsterdam club.
- Lisandro López, Argentine striker who played for FC Porto and Olympique Lyonnais has just signed a contract with Atlanta United FC of the MLS, where he will join his compatriots Gabriel Heinze, new manager of the club, Fernando Meza, Marcelino Moreno, Ezequiel Barco, Franco Escobar and Eric Remedi.