Like many of us who like to leave things to the last minute due to the adrenaline of having the pressure that time is running out, football clubs have that need to feel that adrenaline and that is why they like to leave some signings for the last day of the transfer window. In fact, it is so common that some sports television networks and specialized football media do a special follow-up on that day.
Yesterday, the 2021 winter transfer window closed and left some notable signings despite being one of the calmest transfer market in recent years. Here are the highlights of the last day:
- Liverpool FC managed to complete the signings of two center backs: Ben Davies, from Preston North End FC for € 3 million and Ozan Kabak, from FC Schalke 04, in this case in the form of a loan estimated at € 1 million and a signing option of €20 million.
- Arsenal FC were very active on this final day as they completed the loan of Ainsley Maitland-Niles to West Bromwich Albion FC and Joe Willock to Newcastle United FC as well as Shkodran Mustafi who terminated his contract with the Gunners to sign for FC Schalke 04 as a replacement for Ozan Kabak.
- Portuguese midfielder Gedson Fernandes ended his loan with Tottenham Hotspurs FC early due to lack of minutes (he had not played any English Premier League matches this season) and went on loan to Galatasaray SK.
- Another one who ends his loan early was Daniele Rugani, who was not playing for Stade Rennais FC (only one Ligue 1 match this season), returned to Juventus FC to go on loan to Cagliari Calcio until the end of the season.
- Takumi Minamino, Liverpool FC’s Japanese winger, was loaned to Southampton FC for the remainder of the 2020-21 season.
- The skillful Oussama Idrissi, a Moroccan player signed by Sevilla FC in 2020, went on loan to AFC Ajax, to serve as a replacement for Quincy Promes who left in this same transfer window to FC Spartak Moscow.
- The player who was at some point the young promise of Real Madrid CF, Jesé Rodríguez signed a contract with UD Las Palmas. The Spanish player was free after ending his contractual union with Paris Saint Germain FC at the beginning of the season.
- Moises Caicedo, a young Ecuadorian midfielder was finally able to complete his signing for an English Premier League club, although it was not the much talked about move Manchester United, but rather Brighton & Hove Albion FC, from CSD Independiente del Valle.
- Hertha BSC closed the return of Sami Khedira to Germany from Juventus FC and the loan of Nemanja Radonjic from Olympique de Marseille.